Senioritis: An Epidemic

Alex Davies, Editor-in-Chief

On the first day of senior year, generally speaking, most students have a desire to do well in their new classes in order to keep up their grades for the “home stretch”.

After a long day of school, you might want to lie down on a couch, watch some YouTube, possibly cry yourself to sleep, but you can’t. If you did that, then you’d start falling behind in classes, being unprepared for tests, and watching your grades drop down a slope that is difficult to pull them back up. That wouldn’t be very good now, would it?

This phenomenon, known as senioritis, happens to almost every senior, no matter how hard he or she might try to avoid it. Senioritis is a highly contagious disease, for which the only cure is graduation. Once a student has senioritis, it is very difficult to bounce back. Many students have applied to colleges and may receive decisions before Christmas. This can make it very difficult to remain motivated in classes, since many people are ready to experience the next stages of their lives. Despite this, seniors must conquer their final year in order to graduate and must deal with the adversity that comes with it.

Speaking from experience, my senioritis conveniently began in junior year, the year that “counts the most.” The ailment further progressed once I saw that my grades in AP Biology were steadily dropping after barely passing test after test. Since I had this class every single morning, my lack of motivation became fairly persistent, which did not do my GPA any favors. Falling asleep during presentations became a daily occurrence, and I remember being jolted awake as I fell back in my chair. During second block, I would usually be studying for a math test that I had to take third block, and so forth. Once I had made it through the day, I would go home, watch YouTube for about 5 hours, and then head off to sleep, without touching my backpack or any homework for that matter. This became a vicious cycle, as I fell further behind in my classes, received poor grades, and lost motivation in general.

After a rocky junior year, I was set that my senior year was going to be a change for the best. For the first few days of school, I made it a challenge with myself and a friend that I would finish all of my homework before 7pm and stay on top of all of my classes. I turned homework and studying for tests into a game that I was determined to win. It’s now the end of October and I have straight As for the time being and wake up for school motivated with all my homework complete. Even so, I can feel the effects of Senioritis lingering and trying to regain control almost every day. Fighting senioritis is a constant battle, one that requires great willpower and determination to win but is surely worth once graduation is in sight.