Chance Made Us Siblings, Love Made Us Friends

Back to Article
Back to Article

Briana Heller, Student Life

Many people take having a sibling for granted. It means having someone to share your time with. It means having someone who understands all that you’ve been through. It means having someone you can trust to have your back. This year, on Siblings Day, April 10th, it’s important to take the time to appreciate the siblings you have and everything they do for you. For many siblings, it’s nice to be able to go out and get coffee, shop, or camp together. Especially in childhood, a sibling’s day might have been spent under lit-up forts, pretending to be invisible, playing dress up, or having magic powers. Even when, as they always do, siblings fight, family always forgives family. As they say, blood is thicker than water and having a sibling means having a lifelong friend.  

This National Siblings day, try to make the time to go do something fun with your sibling. For instance, maybe hop in a car, or spend a day having a picnic, going on a bike ride, or spending some time on the water kayaking. These activities are not only a good source of exercise, but also are an easy way to create a long-lasting bond between one another. Take figuring out trail plans for example, or planning a trip together. Both of these pastimes involve problem solving, which naturally creates a bond as siblings work through road blocks together. Having spent a lot of time with my brother backpacking, we have learned to work alongside one another. In situations such as this, everyone is prone to get annoyed from time to time, but we are able to understand each other’s frustrations and help each other along the way. For me, backpacking is a meditation-like activity where my mind can wander for the endless hours of hiking through nature. It’s a real pleasure to spend this time with my brother, since we are both learning more about ourselves in the process. If you’re not the typically the type of person to spend weeks without a warm bed or technology, it’s always a good idea to get out of the house, and experience the true natural beauty of this planet, through either a simple hike or outdoor activity.

Another idea for Siblings Day could involve spending time with the whole family. It’s always nice to show your parents, brother, or sister that you love them. After everything your family has done, it’s nice to cook dinner or take the family out for a wholesome activity. Working with your sibling to create a memory book or putting together a card for your parents can allow you to rejoice in past memories. Using these mementos as a way to bring joy to your family allows time to create even more experiences.

Siblings day is a time to reflect on the family-ships you already have and make them even stronger. With that being said, make sure to show your siblings a little extra love this April 11th.