The student news site of Hunterdon Central Regional High School

The First Season: Girl’s Wrestling Team Grapples to a State Championship

June 19, 2019

Jesse Spencer, the athletic director at Hunterdon Central Regional High School

The Hunterdon Central Girl’s Wrestling Team had what was the ideal first season. Stephanie Andrade, a junior here at Hunterdon Central, won the program’s first state title in the NJSIAA State Wrestling Championships in Atlantic City. One can only imagine the impact that this win has on the program and the sport in it’s inaugural season. This team has sparked a lot of optimism and potential for growth and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. Mr. Spencer the athletic director at Central, seems to think that this can bring about a lot of positive change for the program.

“(It’s) a wonderful addition to the sport, now allowing a lot of student athletes to be able to participate at equal levels, giving them their own level. It is empowering for all female athletes.” he said, when asked on his thoughts on the season. Girl’s wrestling isn’t just a new program here at Central, but is also a program that has slowly been being implemented in several states such as Hawaii, Alaska, Texas and Tennessee according to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. However as girl’s wrestling has just made it’s way to New Jersey in 2018, it now gives female athletes in New Jersey an opportunity to get involved in the sport, and with the success of this first season, upcoming female wrestlers may feel more inclined to become involved at the program here at Central. When asked if he thought that this season could make participation grow or decline, Spencer said “Absolutely grow, in for a possibility due to the success and because of the new avenue.”

Mr. Spencer seems to think that with the success that has been established already within the program, that there is only opportunity for growth. “The possibilities are endless for what has been established. No expectations for how it would turn out first year, but it turned out great. With more support and knowledge the 400 athletes at states will grow. The movement will continue to grow and I look forward to Hunterdon Central being a part of it.” The girl’s wrestling state championship has not only had a huge impact for participation and opportunity for athletes here at Central, but seems to also be part of a bigger movement of high school athletics. Hunterdon Central has been able to successfully put together a girl’s wrestling team and achieve a state championship, which sets a good precedent for the sport and athletes as a whole.