Hunterdon Central’s Newest Edition: The Zen Den

Emily Schneider

Hunterdon Central is proud to announce the opening of its on-campus mindfulness room: “The Zen Den.” 

Mindfulness is the practice of focusing on the present moment and being aware of one’s thoughts, feelings, and body. Practicing mindfulness has many benefits including stress relief, increased focus, decreased anxiety, and improved physical/emotional well-being. 

After recognizing a community issue surrounding teen mental health, Girl Scout and current HCRHS Senior, Emily Schneider, saw an opportunity for the school to take action and set a precedent in combating and addressing this rising matter. She, along with Superintendent Dr. Jeffrey Moore, Dean of Students Edward Brandt, Counseling Supervisor Dana Kurilew, the S.A.C. counselors, and a group of fellow peers, has created a welcoming, comforting space that offers a diverse selection of coping mechanisms to help students relax, regroup, and refocus.  

The Zen Den, located in the 11/12 Building near the 600s cafeteria, opened its doors in September. This mindfulness area is available for use during normal school hours. Whether you’re stressed, upset, or maybe you just need a few minutes to breathe and recenter, The Zen Den is a place for all students to practice healthy coping skills.  

Please note, everything in the room is wipeable and can be sanitized between usage.