The Coffee Crusade

The Coffee Crusade

Lauren Blaser, Student Life Editor

As days get shorter, and mornings get chillier, and we find ourselves fast-approaching the heart of fall weather, one of the best sources of warmth and comfort is a cup of coffee. Of course, many people rise and grind (literally) with this beverage year-round. However, there’s nothing like the return of cooler weather to make even occasional coffee drinkers crave this beverage. Naturally, then, in a town that features multiple Dunkin’ Donuts and a Starbucks as well, we all run into The Big Question this time of year: Which coffee outlet is best?

First, let’s acknowledge that by pairing the options down to just DD and Starbucks, we are setting aside many other smaller cafés for no reason other than a lack of both time and widespread recognition. Factory Fuel Co., for example, is a great local spot for coffee and other beverages, but unfortunately the majority of Flemingtonites still get their cup of joe from the two caffeine giants in town, DD and Starbucks.

Taking into consideration the menus and overall aesthetics of these two spots, I contend that Starbucks is the better choice. For one, it has an overall more relaxed atmosphere. Dunkin’ Donuts is pleasant enough, but usually their stores are very small and not exactly welcoming; you are expected to order, pay, and then head out. The smooth jazz and plump sofas in Starbucks, on the other hand, invite you to pull up a chair and stay a while. Never have I seen students camped out with homework in Dunkin’ Donuts or colleagues meeting to discuss a business plan. In Starbucks, though, this is a common sight.

The varied selection of food at Starbucks is another area where they trump Dunkin’ Donuts. Not only do they have a wide array of pastries and other bakery items that could hold their own against the donuts and muffins at Dunkin’, but they also have more nutritional items. If you’re on the go and want a pick-me-up that’s on the healthier side, your only option at Dunkin’ is a banana from the side of the register or opting for the low-fat blueberry muffin or a variety of egg sandwiches or bagels. At Starbucks, they carry dried fruit, fresh fruit cups, protein boxes (complete with various sources of fueling foods like hard boiled eggs, cheese, etc) and a countless number of organic granola bars.

Now, onto the most important category: drinks. Both stores do carry numerous teas and coffees, as well as hot chocolate and fancier blended coffees, for example (dubbed “Frozen Coffees” by DD and “Frappuccinos” by Starbucks). However, the number of flavors and options at Starbucks, much like their food options, surpasses those of Dunkin’. To my point, Frappuccinos come in “Green Tea,” “Strawberries & Crème,” “Java Chip,” and “Double Chocolaty Chip” flavors (to name a few). The “French Vanilla,” “Raspberry,” “Caramel” and other options at DD are not only more basic, but must be added to these drinks by the customer when ordering as opposed to the already-created Frappuccinos.  

Where to get coffee is one of the most controversial topics you can pursue in conversation, right after political parties, news stories and religion. If your loyalty lies with Dunkin’ Donuts, I feel like it is my duty to suggest seriously reevaluating that decision. Starbucks has more variety, more attention to nutrition, and more calming aesthetics–isn’t that what coffee is all about? If I haven’t changed your mind yet, then consider this: the Pumpkin Spice Latte was created by Starbucks. Case closed.