How to Revamp Your Halloween

Tuesday, October 31, marks the end of October. Two months of school have come and gone. Freshmen are learning the ropes of what high school is and what it’s going to be for the next four years, while seniors are coming to grasp with what high school has been and how they are going to get to the next step on their journey.

October 31 holds different meanings for every individual. It’s either just another day, or a day you have been counting down to since last Halloween. As you grow older it may feel like your opportunities to participate in this holiday are dwindling, but really this day - just as any other - is what you make of it.

Trick-or-treating is one option for many students. For seniors, however, just as their academic motivation is decreasing, so seems to be their motivation for going door-to-door on Halloween night. Not everyone wants to wear turtlenecks and combat freezing weather as they once did as children, especially if they can go out to Shop Rite or CVS the day after Halloween and buy half-priced candy. They no longer have any incentive. Seniors also have deadlines approaching. There are Early Action and Early Decision deadlines for November 1 and the weeks following. If trick-or-treating is not part of your plans for this year, there are many other, arguably more beneficial, tasks that could be accomplished on October 31 and still put you in the Halloween spirit!

First, you could stay home, rather than party, and study. No longer do teachers waive homework when this celebratory day approaches. As much fun as it might be to walk around in the 40 degree weather (or not) and squandering several hours beforehand in perfecting your costume, it would be even more fun to treat yourself to good grades. A personal favorite strategy to get in the Halloween mood - while the wheels of learning keep on turning - is to eat an M&M or two after reading a page of a textbook or your latest English novel assignment (Crime and Punishment, for example).

Second, if you are a senior, odds are high that you have either a November 1 or 15 deadline for college applications. If you don’t, there are other obligations you could be working on to help prepare yourself for the future. For students of other ages, there are always new projects to prepare and essays to compose. Halloween falls on a school night this year, which means you are nearly guaranteed to have some homework.

Third, you could go to Shop Rite or CVS and buy a bag of candy, which would save yourself a great deal of time and still allow for your participation in the excitement of Halloween. While you are there, you could even purchase some extra bags to give to your friends or siblings. Generosity is an underlying theme of Halloween, after all, as we rely on our neighbors to give us candy and prizes.

While we are discussing the spirit of Halloween, instead of spending your night frivolously, you could find somewhere to volunteer and give back. Many local elementary schools hold parties or family events to celebrate, and they could always use help setting up and running the festivities. In all seriousness, Halloween is a day that many people in this country take for granted. Most are able to afford the candy, the costumes, and the decorations. They may even wear multiple different costumes in one season. Not everyone is this fortunate, though, and those of us who are cannot take this for granted.

Everyone loves candy. But if you are considering switching up your classic trick-or-treat run or party this year, there are multiple options open. If you take this advice to heart, this year’s Halloween is sure to be the best one yet.