The student news site of Hunterdon Central Regional High School

The Parking Spot Lottery

Central has 476 parking spots available to it's students, which is gradually becoming a fraction of the graduating class.

Every year, the senior class exceeds the number of parking spots that are provided across campus. This year there are over 300 students that were not given a parking spot and this is a huge issue among students. Teens at HCRHS should not be declined a spot if they spent the first three years of high school working hard and something should be done to get them a place to park.

Trevor Swanton was a junior at HCRHS before he graduated early and moved forward with his education. He is not happy with how the school has been choosing the students who receive parking spots.  “I think that the students who are in Tier One would say no to this [parking per semester] but only because they know that they are guaranteed a spot right now,” he said. “Students who are in the other tiers would want more of a chance to get a spot and this system would benefit them.”

HCRHS groups students into different tiers based on their behavioral actions at the school. Depending on the number of detentions, late fees, or other disciplinary actions, students will be placed into one of the three tiers – with tier one being the students who have shown excellent behavioral skills.

This system is used when the vice principal is assigning students to a parking spot. In order to reward students for their good behavior, the individuals in tier one are entered into the pool first. This gives them a higher chance for a parking spot than someone who has had disciplinary issues. As the lottery continues, students from the lower tiers will be entered into the choosing.

The school also offers a partnership option for parking. Two students choose to be entered into the lottery and this will give them a higher chance to be picked. However, they will be moved into the lottery pool of the lowest tier out of the pair.

THE LAMP ONLINE • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All THE LAMP ONLINE Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *