Senior Spotlight: Gabby Pelosi

From a very young age, Gabby Pelosi didn’t really have a clue as to what she wanted to do with her life. There wasn’t ever one thing she was really passionate about. 

She tried following in her mother’s footsteps by pursuing art, and while she clearly showed promise, it didn’t last. 

Next, she tried her hand at riding horses, which was something her mother is also very passionate about. But yet again, after a few years, she couldn’t seem to stick with it.

In third grade, she tried tennis–didn’t last. 

After having heard about gymnastics and observing a class, she was sure this was something she wanted to do. Two years later, no more gymnastics. With each new hobby she tried to pick up, she would ultimately end up dropping. It became a very frustrating process. 

Next came mixed martial arts. This had to be it. One year led to the next, and she was looking at five years of mixed martial arts under her belt. While she had put a lot of time and effort into the sport, she had never really been in love with it and finally called it quits. 

Now she was fifteen years old and fed up. Everyone else seems to have a passion! What’s wrong with me?, she thought. After having heard about it from a friend, she joined the school’s fencing team, without the slightest knowledge of what it was. Her losses kept piling up, and she could never seem to win a match. Freshman year came to a close, but she didn’t want to give up just yet. Sophomore year rolled around and only seemed to be a repeat of the year before. And with the end of sophomore year, she was no longer a member of the team. And just when she thought she’d lost all hope, the second semester of her junior year brought a blessing in disguise. 

The coronavirus may have taken the end of her junior year, but it also made her find her passion. After having nothing to do with the rest of her day after classes for the first few weeks, she decided to go down to her basement and pick up a pair of her father’s 10lb dumbbells. And that was the moment her passion for weightlifting began. The 10lbs became 15s, the 15s became 20s, and now she was watching youtube videos on how to do a deadlift with proper form. She became obsessed with the feeling of strength it gave her, and she loved the results she was seeing from it. One thing led to the next, and she found herself spending all of her christmas money on specialty leggings and workout shorts. She adored working on herself and decided there was no turning back, and she wouldn’t change a thing. And with that, Pelosi found her passion.