“On to the Next”: From a 2021 Graduate

Anjali Vijan, Editor-in-Chief

Looking back to the past 4 years, I think we can all agree that half of it was a blur. Freshman year we walked into Central, overwhelmed by how big it was, and scared that we wouldn’t find our classes in time. Joining every club at the freshman social trying to figure out how we wanted to leave an impact during our time here. Sophomore year…. Well, I don’t know if anyone can relate, but the only thing I remember is that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Junior year was tiresome and the world fell apart. But I don’t need to reiterate that… we all know… And then, senior year.

A lesson I believe we can all take away from this past school year is that senioritis and a global pandemic do not mix well together… at all. Especially when the entire world is virtual, and you can stay in bed and watch tik tok all day long, or mute the world from a single tap of your chromebook. Although, even through the lengthy and dreadful process of submitting college applications and scholarship essays, we had an entire year to find ourselves, figure out who we wanted to be and what we wanted to do with our time. That’s the thing about the pandemic, we experienced loneliness, zoom fatigue, and according to psychologists on tik tok, reverse bedtime procrastination. Yeah, all you Gen Z kids know what I’m talking about. We were physically apart but mentally connected, and collectively experienced a dependence on social interaction. But at the same time, we were able to become our truest selves and take up new hobbies that we didn’t have time for. From hearing stories from each of you, I’ve come to realize how brilliant you all are. From learning how to knit Harry styles cardigans to walking marathons to becoming activists, you all amaze me. 

To all my young peers who are graduating, you are the voice of change. Keep using it, no matter what your next steps are in life. And please, do what you love. Do what you are overly passionate about, and use that to your advantage as you make your way into the world. WE are the leaders and inspiration of today, tomorrow, and the future. I can’t wait to see you all shine. Congratulations Class of 2021!