May Student Life

Our three seniors (left to right): Sneha, Ethan, and Gauri

ETHAN ROSEN

What was your position on The Lamp?

I was the social media/marketing manager. 

What got you involved in Media/Marketing? Why do you enjoy it?

I’ve always enjoyed having a part in the English program at our school, especially journalism — I decided to try out a new position with The Lamp where I’d be able to showcase the incredible work our students produce to the community.

What is your biggest takeaway from working in the newspaper?

Communication is key! Being able to advocate for yourself is super important to keep a newspaper together. We all did a nice job of collaborating and sharing our ideas.

What other activities are you involved in at school?

In addition to The Lamp, I am the President of the French Honor Society/French Club, an Officer for Science National Honor Society, an assistant in a Chemistry class, an Algebra 2 & Precalculus assistant, a peer mentor in Teen PEP, a peer leader in Sources of Strength, and a general member of the Chemistry team and Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society.

What do you enjoy about French?

I enjoy learning about languages, cultures, and their applications to the rest of the world. I began taking French in 6th grade; at the time, I was not a big fan of the language. But, when I started French in 9th grade, my class slowly grew into a passion. Since then I have become more and more inclined toward the francophone culture that I would like to continue my studies of it in college.

What activities do you participate in outside of school?

Outside of school, I am a tutor and teacher at the Flemington Jewish Community Center where I help students prepare for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah. I teach them Hebrew as well as help them become more comfortable with leading their service on their big day. I also volunteer with Hunterdon Outreach Program for Sports (HOPS) where I volunteer and play sports with special needs individuals. I ensure that they have a memorable as well as thoughtful experience while playing basketball, tennis, or soccer (depending on the season).

What do you do for fun?

Just recently I started getting into film photography. I really enjoy taking pictures, and wanted to try something “new”. In addition, I love hanging out with friends and family, listening to music (Billy Joel, Elton John, and Rex Orange County are my go-to’s), going on food runs with friends, and sleeping.

What is your favorite thing/thing you will miss most from Central?

I will most definitely miss the friendships I made at Central. Meeting people from all four middle schools broadened my relationships, and I will forever cherish the memories I made. Of course, I will also miss having a normal, four-year experience. Regardless, my friends and I made the best of the situation and still made great memories together.

Who was your favorite HC teacher and why?

I’ve had a ton of great teachers at HC, but my favorite would probably have to be Mrs. Schiff; I had her for Algebra 2 in 9th grade as well as Pre Calculus in 11th grade. Mrs. Schiff is a teacher unlike any other — she is an amazing individual, a class act, and is just a witty person to be around. I will miss her little jokes and our daily conversations about practically anything. In a way, she is “graduating” with the Class of 2022, as she will be retiring this year. I wish her nothing but the best and thank her for everything she has done for me at Central. <3

Name at least one thing you want to do before you graduate?

I love all things thrill; I would love to go skydiving with a few of my friends before graduation. That would be one less item on my bucket list!

Plans after high school? College? Career?

I will be attending Syracuse University in the fall to study Chemistry with a minor in French! I plan on going into the food science field.

What are you looking forward to after high school?

I look forward to meeting new people from all over the world. College campuses are full of rich, interesting people and things, so I will take advantage of every opportunity that is thrown my way.

Any advice for underclassmen?

Don’t worry or stress about the things you can’t control, it is a waste of time. Take advantage of every single opportunity around you. Go to that football game, that prom, that concert, everything. This may sound cliché or redundant, but time truly does fly…please cherish every moment of high school, graduation will creep up on you before you know it. 

GAURI PATEL

What was your position on The Lamp?

I’m one of the Arts and Living editors at The Lamp! 

What got you involved into the Arts and Living position? Why do you enjoy it?

During the pandemic in my junior year, I wanted to find more ways to get involved at school, such as by joining clubs. I started off as a writer at the Lamp, then in my senior year, I became an editor. I love being an editor because I get the chance to come up with tons of interesting article ideas. 

What is your biggest take away from working on the newspaper?

My biggest takeaway from working with The Lamp is that deadlines are closer than you think! Each week passes by so quickly, and it can get easy to get caught up with other things in your life, like homework or other responsibilities. 

I am the Public Relations Officer for the Women in STEM club and the graphic designer for the Asian Student Alliance. I am also a member of several honor societies, including the National Honor Society and Science, English, Tri-M, and French honor societies. I also used to be the treasurer of the Italian Culture Club and of the Future Business Leaders of America. 

What do you enjoy about your extracurriculars?

By participating in different clubs, I have the chance to take part in different activities, such as creating a mural for the Asian Student Alliance, or mentoring younger students for any honor society. 

How has stepping into different activities affected your life?

I have met some of my best friends through becoming a leader for clubs. I can’t imagine planning a meeting activity or organizing an event with anyone else! 

Outside of school, I’ve recently become very interested in the world of investing in stocks. I also love to take pictures, so I guess you could say I’m an amateur photographer. 

What do you enjoy about photography?

Through photography, I’ve become much more appreciative about the small things in life. Beauty can be found in the most random things sometimes! 

What do you do for fun?

In my free time, I always down to watch a good TV show. Currently, I’m obsessed with Reign, the Vampire Diaries, Outer Banks, and The Office. I also love to hang out with my friends, try out new restaurants, or just scroll through Tiktok for hours. I’m a huge fan of history in general, as well. Visiting museums and historical landmarks have always been one of my favorite ways to learn about history first-hand, and two of my favorite museums are the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History in New York City!

I will definitely miss all the friends I’ve made over the last four years. I can’t imagine what I’m going to do without them! 

My favorite teacher at HC is Madame Chukrallah, one of the French teachers. Her work ethic, outlook on life, and dedication to her job have shown me many of the qualities that I’d like to have myself. 

I’d like to see another play at Central before I graduate. I’ve already seen Les Mis, and it was spectacular! 

I plan to attend The College of New Jersey as a Finance major. 

I’m looking forward to traveling with my friends or family after high school! I’ve always wanted to visit Istanbul, Dubai, and the Netherlands. 

Any advice for underclassmen?

I would 100% recommend that underclassmen start to think about their future plans in advance. Don’t wait until you’re a senior, I’ve made that mistake and can tell you that it can become very stressful. 

SNEHA PANCHANI

What was your position on The Lamp?

I am Editor of the Features Column of the newspaper. 

What got you involved in The Lamp? 

As a little girl , I was always interested in journaling and I grew a passion for creative writing. I wanted to become an officer so I can influence other writers of our school community to freely write about current events they are passionate to learn more about. 

Why do you enjoy it?

I enjoy the community of writers and editors within the newspaper. 

It is very important to coordinate and be cooperative with your writers as well provide helpful advice that would better someone’s writing skills. 

Beside the Lamp, I am VP of National Honors Society, President of Psychology Club, team member of Chemistry Olympics and members of both math and science honors societies.

National Honors is an amazing way to help our local community and our school through various service projects like campus clean ups and bagged lunches for the homeless. 

What do you enjoy about the NHS?

I am glad to gather a group of intelligent students and do a good act for our community. 

How have these honors societies affected your life?

I have learned the value of service and how it impacts someone’s life. 

I am a nationally certified EMT. I am involved in performing patient care and reporting patient information. 

What do you enjoy about being an EMT?

I enjoy that I am willing to share my experiences with a family at my local rescue squad whether it is good or bad. 

How has being an EMT affected your life?

I have known I wanted to go to the medical field but volunteering as an EMT has taught me the value of helping someone who cannot help themselves. 

What do you do for fun?

I am a very outdoors person. I love to hike and ski. 

I will miss my friends and great teachers that made my experience at Central great. 

I want to eat the Ooey gooey cookies from the commons. 

I will be attending Siena College and Albany Medical College to study biology and become a cardiologist. 

After high school, I hope to become independent in college and learn more about what interests me and how I can explore those interests in college. 

Any advice for underclassmen?

I would recommend good study skills for studying that you will build for college. (Also get bagels, they are yummy:)