Central’s Takes on Super Bowl 57

This year’s Super Bowl, Super Bowl 57, is being held at State Farm Stadium, home of the Arizona Cardinals in Glendale, Arizona.

This year’s super bowl, Super Bowl 57, is set to be played on February 12, 2023, and one team will be crowned the best team from this year’s NFL season. Fans have eagerly been watching the playoffs as the regular season recently came to a close. As teams fight to continue playing, students and teachers across Central have been repping their team merch and trash-talking each other. The top seeds to win the Super Bowl are the Kansas City Chiefs, led by Patrick Mahomes, and the Philadelphia Eagles, led by Jalen Hurts. 

Students and teachers from across Central are rooting for their respective teams to go all the way. Two freshmen that were interviewed, Brady Bousum and Gabby Iervolino, are rooting for different teams to win this year’s Super Bowl. Brady is rooting for his favorite team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Gabby was rooting for the Cincinnati Bengals. Because of their 12-4 record on the year, yielding them the 3rd seed in the AFC, and Joe Burrow, their quarterback who had an amazing season being in the top five in total yards and tied for second in passing touchdowns, she felt that the Bengals had a great chance of going all the way.

Four more sophomores that were interviewed were rooting for different teams as well. Before they were eliminated, Rich Bezahler was rooting for the Giants to win not only because he is a fan but also because he thinks that Saquon Barkley and Daniel Jones are some of the best players in the league at the moment. Luke Christensen was rooting for the Los Angeles Chargers to win, before their elimination, as he likes their quarterback, Justin Herbert. Jackson Selquist is rooting for the Eagles to win because he lives close to them and feels like it is their year. Additionally, Maitland Halsted is rooting for the Eagles as that is her family’s favorite team. 

Before their eventual elimination, a junior, Andrew Devine, was rooting for the Giants to win because they are his home team.

And for seniors, Max Niedziejko is rooting for the Eagles as he has been a lifelong fan of them, and Kate Hollingshead is rooting for the Chiefs because she used to live in Missouri. For her, the Chiefs are her home team. 

Lastly, Donald Meister, a Physical Education teacher, was rooting for and thought that the 49ers would win. He references the combination of their defense and simplistic offensive scheme making a good match against their opponents, especially the Bengals whom he also thought would make it to the Super Bowl. Also, he points out that the 49ers had not turned the ball over much and have been giving plenty of pressure on opposing offenses. He was so confident in the 49ers that he claimed the final score would be 49ers-20, Bengals-10.

Even though nationwide, the Dallas Cowboys have the most fans, according to ngscsports.com, with over 8.5 million fans, the clear favorites in Central are the New York Giants and the Philadelphia Eagles. Unfortunately, for all of the Giants fans, they lost Saturday night, January 21, with a staggering 7 points to the Eagles’ 38 points. Also, the Chargers were knocked out of the playoffs by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Saturday, January 14 with a final score of 30 compared to the Jaguars’ 31. This was an embarrassing loss for the Chargers after they gave up a 27-point lead. Despite not being top seeds, out of the four remaining teams, the Chiefs are projected to win the Super Bowl while defeating the Eagles. However, the Bengals were close behind the Chiefs for odds of winning. The Bengals, Chiefs, and 49ers were all in the AFC or NFC Championship game last year, displaying the talent in both the players and the coaches these teams possess. Ultimately, as the playoffs near an end and the Super Bowl edges closer, our school is ripe with students rooting for different teams for a multitude of reasons. Make sure to tune in on February 12 to see who wins the Super Bowl!