HC Senior Fencers: Isabella Chen

H.C. fencing logo

How long have you been fencing? How were you introduced to the sport?

I have been fencing since 8th grade and I decided to sign up for classes after reading a book about rapier wielding ghost fighters. I initially trained as a foil but switched to epee in sophomore year. 

What is your role on the team? What is your greatest strength when competing? 

I am part of the starting line-up of the varsity girls’ epee team. As a senior, I also help lead practices and strip coach during meets. My greatest strength when competing is my ability to stay calm during bouts and tire my opponents out so that they make mistakes.  

What is your most memorable takeaway from this experience?

The camaraderie among the varsity team always blows me away. Even though fencing is an individual sport, we must work as a team to accumulate enough wins in order to be victorious at a meet. We rely on each other for advice and emotional support while being able to stand tall by ourselves on the strip. The balance between individual and team growth is astonishing and inspiring and I’m honored to be part of such a team.

What other activities are you involved in at school (clubs, honors societies, sports, etc)?

My schedule can get pretty hectic very quickly. I am part of the Speech and Debate team, the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), Science National Honor Society, and the English National Honor Society. I also play the flute in the Wind Symphony. 

What activities do you participate in outside of school?

I horseback ride outside of school. 

What is your favorite thing/thing you will miss most from Central?

I’ll miss the Project Adventure class because I had a lot of fun challenging myself physically. I also made a few great friends and I’ll miss climbing with them very much.

Name at least one thing you want to do before you graduate?

I want to go skydiving this year. I’ve always wanted to know what it felt like to freefall for a long period of time. I love rollercoasters, but I have a feeling that skydiving is a very different experience. 

Plans after high school? College? Career? What are you looking forward to after high school?

I’m looking forward to going to Brown University after high school and meeting a lot of new people from around the world and around the country. I’ve known most of the people in my grade at least since middle school so it’ll be interesting to talk to people who have had very different middle school and high school experiences. 

What is one way you have changed since freshman year?

I’ve grown more confident in myself and have found value within myself. While external validation is always good, I’m no longer reliant on it.

Pretend you are talking to your freshman self: what would you say to them?

I would tell her that she’s doing a great job. She’s trying her best and working through everything she needs to. I’d also tell her to do things at her own pace when she can. Not everything has to be completed at breakneck speed. You can’t rush most things.