The Stage Crew of Cinderella

RAINA SHROFF

How long have you been working on musical productions at Central? Which performance was your favorite?

I’ve been working on musical productions since freshman year but have been stage managing them since junior year. So far I enjoyed Les Mis the most because of how much fun I had building the set and barricade, and the mentorship I received from seniors for stage management.

What makes this group unique compared to the other cubs at Central? 

People in the stage crew are dedicated to the final product and everyone knows who to follow and who to lead. You can learn leadership, teamwork, woodworking, construction, management, and scheduling all in one. You’ll have so much fun meeting such talented and amazing people in theater as well.

What is your most memorable takeaway from this experience?

My most memorable experience from being on stage crew is always the Saturday potlucks we have between Saturday shows for the plays and the Musical. We normally get a bunch of food, watch a movie, take pictures, and just spend time with each other. I also always enjoy the building of the sets in construction and teaching the younger kids how to use the equipment and tools.

What other activities are you involved in at school (clubs, honors societies, sports, etc)?

Habitat for Humanity, Film Society, National Honor Society, Thespian Honor Society, National English Honor Society, Tri-M  Music Honor Society, and the Science National Honor Society.

What do you enjoy about Film Society?

I run the film society with my friend Kat and I’ll always enjoy directing and working production and learning about filmmaking.

How has Habitat For Humanity affected your life?

I want to study both film and architecture so these two clubs have allowed me to dabble in sustainability and building designs and how to help the housing community and crisis.

What activities do you participate in outside of school?

I only volunteer mostly outside of school and through connected organizations.

What do you enjoy about volunteering?

I get to meet new people in the community, spend time with my friends while doing something that helps the town, and learn more about social services.

What do you do for fun?

My favorite thing in the world is just to experience things, travel, hanging out, trips, and trying new things. I’m going abroad as part of my first year in college and this summer I’m visiting Italy for the first time. In my downtime I mostly watch television and play video games with my friends, but if not at home, I’m out and about spending time with the people I love.

What is your favorite thing/thing you will miss most from Central?

Just having my friends all around me, these people have kind of raised me but also shaped me to be the person I am today. I hope I’m able to keep up my work ethic and continue to do volunteering and stage management in my spare time.

Name at least one thing you want to do before you graduate?

I actually have a bucket list for a bunch of stuff. I want to go to one of those rage rooms where you break stuff while listening to blasting music and screaming, and I want to sneak into the ice rink and skate at night, and I’d like to finish one movie by the time I graduate as well.

Plans after high school? College? Career?

I’m attending Northeastern University’s Global Scholars program which has the first year and a half in London, England and the second half in Oakland, California. I’m planning on studying architecture and film production.

What are you looking forward to after high school?

The freedom and the change that comes with being on my own, I’m excited to meet new people and as usual have new experiences.

What is one way you have changed since freshman year?

I think I’ve become more dedicated to my ambitions and passions over the past couple years. COVID helped me accelerate change in a big way, bringing me time to practice things and get good at what I want to study in college. I was able to find my own style, and figure out which of my friends were good supporters and keep them close.

Pretend you are talking to your freshman self: what would you say to them?

I’d tell her to not feel like she has to do everything, you’re impressive just by yourself and there’s no need to overdo it and stress yourself out! You’re going to get into college even if you miss one day of something, it’s okay.

Is there anything else you would like me to include in YOUR Senior Spotlight? Something you want people to know about you? 

I just want people to know that even without recognition and relaxation, I have put my whole heart into the things I do so it can be the best it can be. I love being backstage, I hope that people come to the show to see all my and my friend’s hard work! It’s been amazing :))) 

ANDREW LOMBARDO

While I’ve been a member of stage crew since freshman year, I only started working on the tech aspect of shows in November of 2021 with the 11/12 production of Lend Me A Tenor. It’s hard to rank the shows, but my favorite to do would absolutely be Les Mis.  Working with the auditorium lights and on such a scale (as well as being able to see Les Mis like fourteen times for free) was an amazing experience.

This group is almost always on a deadline with whatever show we’re prepping for. And especially in the days and weeks leading up to the show, we’re often at the school till at least six at night like, five days in a row. Being able to work that hard to get ready for a show, while being able to communicate and just goof around with one another and keep the mood light during all of those long hours has brought us together.

The most memorable takeaway from this specific show is being able to work with (slight spoiler for the show), our brand new swivel light. Having access to work with new technology is always exciting and opens the new world of possibility to make the show better. 

I’m the head pianist for the guitar showcase, which, besides pushing me to become better at playing the keyboard, has also made me more confident in my musical abilities. I also write for The LAMP, and being able to write about Central and Flemington and my own opinions feels weirdly… freeing? I’m also a member of the National English Honors Society, which has introduced me to a bunch of new books, including the very eye-opening “Beautiful Country.”

Mainly I either play video games/instruments at home, or I work at Shoprite. Working at Shoprite is nice, mainly because it allows me to socialize with not only my co-workers but also the customers, people who I otherwise would have never known existed.

What do you do for fun?

Play video games and music. I can play the keyboard, ukulele, guitar, bass and I can also produce music so playing around with all of that is extremely entertaining. Video games are also pretty fun, but there’s not much to really say about those things.

I’ll definitely miss being around my friends constantly. I’m gonna try my hardest to keep in contact with them after graduation. I’ll also miss some of the teachers.

Participate in water wars.

Plans after high school? College? Career? What are you looking forward to after high school?

I want to work in computer science, so I’m really interested in seeing what types of research projects and eventually jobs I’ll have.

I’ve definitely been able to calm down and work on myself a lot. I feel more confident in myself as an overall person.

Be more open with your emotions!!! It helps.

Why do they call it an oven when you of in the cold food of out hot food?

MELODY HUNTER

I’ve worked with Central’s musical productions since Evita, and my all time favorite has to be Les Mis.

What makes this group unique compared to the other clubs at Central? 

Stage crew is a hands-on experience that teaches students lessons about responsibilities, craftsmanship, and problem solving in a way that they cannot experience anywhere else in the school.

Stage crew has taught me a lot about how to keep my composure when things start going wrong. 

I am a member of the Thespian Honors society. It has been an incredible experience, where I have met some of my closest friends. 

Outside of school I work in audio, I just got done running audio for RCT’s production of Guys and Dolls. I love working with tech because it helps me improve and build upon my problem solving skills. 

What do you do for fun?

I do play guitar and songwrite in my free time.

I think I’m going to miss the community in this school. I’ve known the people around me for so long, and I will really miss them when I go off to college.

I want to get at least one of my songs fully produced and onto Spotify.

I’m going to college for music technology, and I’m hoping to work in either a recording studio or take gigs doing live events.

Don’t be afraid to be yourself, and don’t be so scared of what others think of you. There are a ton of people who will love you for who you are.