Hunterdon Central’s Varsity Field Hockey Captains: Jennifer Tokash, Sarah Destefano, and Olivia Eichorn

Jen Tokash, Sarah DeStefano, Olivia Eichorn

JENNIFER TOKASH

What position do you play?

I am an offensive player and switch between forward and midfield.

How long have you been playing? How long at Central? Other teams?

I have been playing field hockey for 8 years now since the 5th grade. I have played at central for all four years and played on a club field hockey team for 2 years.

What other activities are you involved in at Central?

I am involved in the operation smile club at school and am the fundraiser chairman. I enjoy being a part of this club because I am surrounded by people who have the same goals as me to help children around the world with cleft palates. This club has shown me that what we in the U.S. consider a cheap surgery, is something children in third-world countries can’t afford. This club has made me feel like I’m making a difference in the world, and gotten me out of the bubble I live in.

What activities do you participate in outside of school?

I like to do weightlifting because it’s fun and a good stress reliever. Weight lifting allows me to have time alone, listen to music and clear my mind.

What do you do for fun?

I like to watch movies, play with my dogs, cook, get food, listen to music, and do bible studies with my friends.

What is your favorite thing you will miss most from Central?

My favorite thing I will miss most from Central is the field hockey team and the coaches.

What are your plans after high school? College? Career?

My plans after high school are to play Division 1 Field Hockey at Rider University and major in Early Childhood Education. I’m most looking forward to playing field hockey in college and meeting new people.

SARAH DESTEFANO

What position do you play (field hockey)?

I am left-wing.

Since the fall of 8th grade. I have played for four years at central. I played two winter seasons for Omega field hockey club my sophomore and junior year in the winter.

What other activities are you involved in at Centra;?

I am on the Softball team as well. I am in the National Honors Society, the Student Athletic Leadership Club, and Operation Smile. I have been playing softball since I was 5 years old. It has affected my life because it has taught me so many things about myself and has helped me grow into the person I am. I enjoy being able to play with my lifetime friends while doing the sport I love.

I volunteer at the Flemington Food Pantry and I play for NJ Pride softball. I have been volunteering at the Food Pantry since 8th grade. I enjoy being able to help people who are less fortunate than I am. It has affected my life by showing me great role models of people in the community who work so hard and care so much about others.

What do you do for fun?

For fun I like to hang out with friends, bake, and play sports.

One thing that I will miss about Central is the teachers. I have had so many great teachers who have inspired me to work hard and have fun while doing it. 

My plans for after high school are to go to a four-year college and get a degree in biology.

OLIVIA EICHORN

What position do you play?

Right forward

I have been playing for 7 years in total and all 4 at Central. I also played for a club team called Omega for 3 years. 

I am Vice President of Connect Club at Central which is a club that works with the special needs students in our school. I am also a general member of the Operation Smile club. I participate in Unified Basketball during the winter. I am a part of the German Honors Society. I am also in Teen PEP. I really enjoy all of the clubs and activities I am a part of at Central. They each are unique and make me feel more connected to my peers. Connect club has definitely had the biggest effect on my life out of all my activities. The club has given me the opportunity to meet all types of people and engage in activities to embrace every individual’s differences. 

I work at an ice cream place in Flemington called Humdoo. The store opened in June of 2021 and I am so beyond happy and thankful for all of the times I have had working. My coworkers and I are all very close so it makes working a blast. My boss is also a 22-year-old Central grad so it is very inspiring to be able to see how successful and happy she is. She has become one of my greatest influences because I get to see how far she has come at such a young age with a similar background. 

What do you do for fun?

For fun, I like to hang out with my friends every chance I get. I also like to ski and snowboard during the winter and go to the beach in the summer. 

What I will miss most about Central is the community and opportunities the school has to offer. We are all so lucky that our school has so many different electives and classes to lead us where we want to go in life. 

I am currently applying to colleges and that is my plan for right now. I hope to be a school counselor when I am older. I am looking forward to what life has to offer including traveling, careers, a family, and much more.