Yik Yak and The Importance of A Positive School Community

The app Yik Yak was designed in 2013 as a way to connect students across college campuses, however the app recently gained popularity at Hunterdon Central. Unfortunately, Central students did not use the app for its intended purpose, instead they used it as a way to anonymously degrade and bully others. Many students reached out to the administration with concerns over comments made on the app, so what can students do to maintain a positive school community and prevent something like this from happening again?

To start, it’s always important to be kind to one another and it is especially important to emphasize kindness in a school environment. The teenage years are when one is most impressionable and unfortunately, bullying is most prevalent amongst high school students. Cyberbullying in particular, has become one of the most common forms of bullying due to the rise of social media. Social media can be used to help, but it can also be used to hurt as many have learned. Although Central students misused Yik Yak, that doesn’t mean we can’t change that and use it as a platform that lifts others up rather than tear them down. Sophomore Nate Allen says, “I believe that Yik Yak could potentially have had a positive impact on our school if it was used appropriately.” Our school could use Yik Yak to ask questions, deliver helpful public service announcements, or just as a way to connect with peers.

While Yik Yak did not highlight the best of Central’s student body, our school works to promote being kind and supportive of one another. Junior Ryan Nourbaksh shares, “HC has an overall positive environment. Teachers care about students and students are welcoming and accepting of others.” Central students are very lucky to have such wonderful staff members to guide them through their four years. It may not feel like your teachers care about you when they assign a five page essay or a reading for homework, but they do! Finding teachers you can trust and developing a relationship with your counselor can contribute to having a successful and positive high school experience. In addition, being a peer that other students can rely on is beneficial to the school community. Whether it be simply holding the door for someone or offering them advice, these are all ways to maintain a positive environment.

As important as it is to have a positive school community, it’s not always easy. “I think Central tries to have a positive environment. It’s hard sometimes because there are some kids who intentionally try to bring others down, however our school does a great job of staying on top of their students and their mental health,” junior Sophia Castillo says. It’s also the students responsibility to stay on top of those things. If you see something you should report it. Many people don’t say anything because of groupthink; following or thinking what others do because it is popular. Other times people don’t want to be seen as a “snitch”. Standing up for someone and doing the right thing doesn’t make you a “snitch, it makes you the bigger person.

We need to unite as one school and remember that everyone has feelings. Nobody likes to be put down. Like the famous American poet Maya Angelou once said, “People may not always remember what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.”So let’s make each other feel good, let’s make our school a positive and welcoming place, and let’s spread kindness.