Les Mis Student Director Amelia Aversano and Dance Captain Kayla Bellotti

Older: Amelia and Kayla have been a part of many different musical groups throughout their time at Central.

AMELIA AVERSANO

What was your role in Les Mis?

I was the head student director. I also played a few minor roles here and there, including Lesgles, one of the constables, and a townsperson.

What got you involved in student directing? Why do you enjoy it?

I’ve always loved all aspects of theater, and I’ve had a passion for directing for a while now, so Les Miserables was the perfect opportunity to finally experience everything I’ve wanted to experience. It was an honor to be able to direct and perform at the same time, and I enjoyed it wholeheartedly.

What was your favorite school performance you were in/worked on?

It’s a tie between Les Miserables and Lend me a Tenor.

What other activities are you involved in at school?

I am a member of Noteworthy, Chorale, and the Thespian Society. I am also one of two co-presidents in Madrigals, our school’s soprano-alto choir. I’ve been a participant in these activities since sophomore year. They have provided me with some of what have genuinely been the happiest memories I’ve experienced in high school.

What do you do for fun?

I write and perform music, most often with my friends. Some of its covers, and some are original.

What is your favorite thing/thing you will miss most from Central?

I cannot express how much I will miss my friends. The performance program here at Central is built on such an amazing community, and I will miss it tremendously.

Name at least one thing you want to do before you graduate?

My little sister, Callie, just became a Thespian during Les Miserables. I hope to see her first solo performance on stage before I graduate. I’m incredibly proud of her.

What are you looking forward to after high school?

I haven’t committed to a college yet, but I’m most likely going to end up at a university in Boston. I plan to major in marketing.

Any advice for underclassmen?

Always dedicate time to whatever it is that you’re passionate about. Love what you do.

KAYLA BELLOTTI

What was your role in Les Mis? 

I had the roles of dance captain and featured ensemble in the musical.

What got you involved in the Dance Captain role? Why do you enjoy it?

I’ve taken dance classes since I was little and have been in Central’s musicals all four years of high school, so it naturally worked out that I was offered the position of dance captain this year.

Les Miserables will definitely hold a special place in my heart. It was my senior show and it was overall an amazing experience. After being hit by the pandemic, this was Central’s first musical back in the auditorium and that meant a lot to everyone who was a part of the production. I also loved my time working on and performing in Chicago my freshman year. The show was a very good fit for me and my musical preferences. 

Amelia and I are senior leaders of Madrigals (Central’s treble voices choir). I participate in Central’s musicals every year. I’m also a part of Tri-M (Music Honor Society), Thespian Society, French Honor Society, and National Honor Society. I’m very grateful for the amount of opportunities Central offers in music and academics. I am able to participate in choirs, theater productions, and honor societies through the school, all of which broaden my experiences in these areas. The extent to which I’ve been able to pursue my musical and academic interests is thanks to these opportunities/activities.

What activities do you participate in outside of school?

Outside of school I am a dancer of 11 years, a piano student of 7 years, and a Girl Scout of 12 years. Each of these longer commitments have allowed me to pursue different areas of my personality and interests. Dance and piano help me express my creative side while Girl Scouts has helped me develop leadership skills.

What do you do for fun?

Other than watching Netflix and Youtube (which I do way too much of), I like to journal and scrapbook in my free time. When I’m not doing my activities or school work, I like to use my free time to relax and explore new hobbies such as these.

The musicals were actually a key and consistent part of my time at Central. Each show I was a part of was different. With a new cast every year, I got to meet many new and inspiring individuals. I was so lucky to be a part of these productions since my freshman year.

I’d like to make a playlist of the songs I listened to most and that meant the most to me throughout high school.

I’m currently waiting for all of my college decisions. I’ve already received five acceptances, however I’d like to wait for my remaining decisions and consider all of my options before picking a school. I’m overall very excited about the opportunity college gives to live a whole different lifestyle than you did in high school, so we’ll see what college has in store for me!

Any advice for underclassmen?

I would recommend pursuing any interests you have and get involved in some of the many clubs and organizations the school has to offer, and always remember to have fun 🙂