Senior Spotlight: HOCO King & Queen 2022

Brandon Michaels and Rayna Tyler win Homecoming King and Queen at Central’s Pink Out Game.

BRANDON MICHAELS

Congratulations on becoming HC’s 2022 Homecoming King! How does winning this honor make you feel? What is your greatest takeaway from this nomination/experience?

I am proud of my accomplishments and involvement in the school community over the past few years and grateful to be able to participate in the activities I am in. 

What other activities are you involved in at school?

I am on the Varsity soccer team, which I have been a part of for the past few years as well as president of the Math Honors Society and Code Club. I also am a Red Devil Ambassador where I walk around and help new students at the school. I really enjoy being involved in these activities because it has been a great way to meet new people and make our campus feel more connected.  

What activities do you participate in outside of school?

Outside of school I play club soccer and referee on the weekends. I also tutor younger kids who need help in math and volunteer through CTeen at community organizations. 

What do you do for fun?

In my free time, I play soccer, but I also love to ski, hike, travel, hang with friends, and code. 

What is your favorite thing/thing you will miss most from Central?

I am going to miss the whole community of friends I have made in my activities. Central is such a big school so the clubs and sports have always made the school feel more connected. I have met some of my closest friends through what I do after school so I will miss being away from that when I graduate. 

Name at least one thing you want to do before you graduate?

I don’t think teachers get a lot of appreciation from the many students that have them. I want to truly thank some of my most memorable teachers for their down-to-earth personalities and for helping me get to where I am before I graduate. 

Plans after high school? College? Career? What are you looking forward to after high school?

After high school, I am planning on going to college and majoring in computer science to eventually become a software engineer.   

What is one way you have changed since freshman year?

I am open to making new friends in all of my classes and after school activities. There is always an opportunity to meet someone new. 

Pretend you are talking to your freshman self: what would you say to them?

Leave an impact on the school by involving yourself in activities after school. Drop stereotypes and make new friends with anyone and everyone. Take advantage of the opportunities you have and most importantly enjoy and be grateful for them.  

______

RAYNA TYLER

Congratulations on becoming HC’s 2022 Homecoming Queen! How does winning this honor make you feel?

It feels great; but I think just being nominated felt wonderful. Getting recognition for the impact I was making on the school, and being nominated by staff means a lot. 

What is your greatest takeaway from this nomination/experience?

It definitely reminded me of the role that upperclassmen have on the lowerclassmen. The seniors are the role models of the school, and especially being nominated, I have to lead by example and continue to make Central a welcoming place to learn and grow. 

I am a senior captain on the dance team. HCDT has truly shaped my Central experience and I do not think I would be as involved if it wasn’t for the encouragement I got from my coach. Coach Toth always encourages the team to get as involved as possible and contribute to the school community. Additionally, my participation in Youth and Government has played a huge role in my development at Central. YAG has helped me become more informed on current issues and develop my debate skills, but more importantly, it helped me meet friends from across the state and country. 

I work at Humdoo Ice Cream in Flemington and do a lot of civic engagement stuff in the area. This summer, I was an intern for Tom Malinowski for Congress, and I worked the election polls.  

What do you do for fun?

I love to thrift and sew. I try not to contribute to fast fashion, so most of my clothes are thrifted, and I flip a lot of pieces using my sewing machine. 

I will miss the staff, I think they are what makes Central so special. I love coming to school knowing that my teachers truly care about me and my success. I’m so grateful for the comfortable and encouraging environment that the entire Central staff has created for students. 

I’m excited to hit the Nationals floor again this year with the dance team. I hope to make it to finals one more time before I graduate. 

After high school, I plan to attend college and law school. I am hoping to pursue patent law, intellectual property law, or business law.

I’ve definitely become more confident and comfortable in my own skin. I definitely think I have evolved as a student, but also as an individual. 

I would definitely tell them to not care about what other people think.  I would remind my freshman self that I have an important impact.